Monday, July 5, 2010

Happy (belated) Fourth!

This Independence Day has been brought to you by the letter B:

Baseball 


Barbecue 


and ...

BANG!!

Our Fourth of July celebrations were tons of fun. We started out the afternoon with a baseball game. Our local minor-league team has free tickets for college students and The Boy™ was able to score us two. Our team won (woo!) and The Boy™ and I melted in the 90+ degree heat and both got sunburned (never using spray sunscreen again.)

After a cool shower and a nap at home, we were off to a friends' house for a BBQ and the fireworks. Evidently, we have the 3rd largest display in the country here. I have to admit, I was impressed. Our host tuned in to a radio station that apparently plans the display along with the pyro people. The whole display had a fun musical score: some classic rock, some new favorites for the kids and some patriotic classics. The finale filled the valley with smoke in a way that made me glad I don't live down there. 
I have to admit, though, the New England traditionalist in me thinks all Fourth of July fireworks display in this country ought to end with Stars and Strips Forever (a la the Pops,) but the display was impressive none-the-less.
The Boy™ brilliantly navigated our way home, avoiding all traffic leaving the fireworks area. It took us less time to get home than it took to actually get there. 
Now, it's Recovery Monday. The Boy™ begins the final push on comps. I begin to pack for the Move. 
Wish us luck! 



No comments: