Thursday, February 26, 2009

Little Women and Tiny Dancers

The High School Theatre Class at work is doing Little Women the Musical this Saturday.

Did you know there was a musical of Little Women? Yeah, the book by Louisa May Alcott. About the March sisters? They made a musical about it.

I sat through my first (kind of) rehearsal today. It wasn't a full rehearsal. It was mostly skipping around, running the things they needed to work on.

My opinion of it? It wouldn't be so bad if they called it "A Musical Based Loosely on a Story About a Strong Willed Young Woman Kind of Like Jo March and her Sisters." And didn't set it during the Civil War. Or changed the music so that it fit in the Civil War Era. The music is ... wrong. Cute, if you like that sort of thing. But a bit to modern.

I'll see a full run (I hope) tomorrow, because, evidently I am to go to their rehearsal at the Middle School tomorrow instead of my usual office hours at the studio. I am not complaining about this. I may even be running lights and sound. And by running, I mean designing. With one run through. And a dress rehearsal.

That leaves Saturday morning at the studio to get all of my first of the month stuff done (payroll and whatnot) and then rush from the studio to the Middle School for the dress rehearsal and performance.

Sunday, there is a mid-afternoon performance for the 3,4 and 5 year old dancers. I'm not sure who is running lights and sound for that one. With my luck, I'll walk in and discover I am. I have been told, however, I am checking in dancers and helping to sell tickets.

It is going to be a long weekend.

No comments: