Thursday, December 11, 2008

They Must Be Crazy

I woke up early this morning for no real reason. 5:30am and I was wide awake. So I went into the living room, zoned out through a little msnbc and fell asleep on the couch for another hour or so. Woke up at 7:15, and went through my usual morning stuff - shower, dress, coffee, blah blah blah.
Sat on the couch to check my e-mail before work. A little gmail chat window pops up and Amber asks if we've canceled classes today (Amber teaches the little kids' theatre classes on Thursdays.)

"Not that I know of," I reply. "Why?"
"They've canceled school." She types. Hm. I change to Good Morning America. Sure enough, there's the little school closing crawl at the bottom of the screen. Neither of the ABC channels are our area, so I go to a website that I know has our local school closings. Yep. All of the local schools are closed. Cool. Maybe the BossMan will cancel classes and I'll get to go home early (not that I can afford it, but I'm fighting this cold and a half day might be nice.)

So, like a good and conscientious driver, I go out early, warm up the truck, scrape the big sheet of ice off the windshield and windows, and leave 20 minutes early for a 3 minute drive. It wasn't snowing, but I expected the roads to be icy and slippery. My little truck is a lightweight and doesn't do well in ice. Hell, it doesn't do well on loose gravel.

The roads are fine. Just wet. Not a patch of ice to be seen. Or felt.

They closed the schools for rain.

It is 1:30pm. I have gotten 16 phone calls and 1 e-mail so far today asking if we're canceling classes this afternoon.

For rain.

No comments: