Wednesday, December 31, 2008

On And Off the Needles

I got quite a bit of knitting accomplished over Christmas at my mother's house. And more done this past week while I've been home. Vacations with nothing much to do helps when you have a lot of knitting to finish. I'm going a little stir crazy, though, and am ready to go back to work. Remind me of this in two weeks when I'm ready to pull my hair out at work.


This is an unflattering picture of me, but not a bad picture of my second attempt at the Hourglass Sweater. This one was done with slightly thicker yarn (alpaca instead of hemp) and no hem. It was torture hemming the last one, so I skipped it this one. The sleeves and the bottom rolled a little, but it's not so bad once it's blocked. This sweater was originally intended for Sister for Christmas, but she told me never mind once she found out she was pregnant. She was afraid she wouldn't fit into it this year. I'm kind of glad she wanted something else (she got a baby book and a gift certificate to Lowe's so she can get started on the baby's room.) This will give me a chance to perfect my sweater skills a little more before I make another attempt for her next Christmas.



The purple earflap hat is done. It's just waiting for its fleece liner. I don't think I'm going to line it all the way up. Just the earflaps and up around the pattern section. I think the top will be fine unlined.



This is a close-up of the pattern section. I think it came out nice. It wasn't quite as complicated as I thought it was going to be. I'm going to be starting another one as soon as B and I can get to the yarn store. Mom has requested one.



The first Anastasia sock is finally off the needles. For some reason, these socks have been the bane of my existence. I think it's because they're too difficult to do anything else while I knit, but not so difficult as to keep my attention while I'm knitting. So my mind wanders and I lose count and screw up. I started this sock in July and finally cast off after Thanksgiving. I cast on the second the other day and have only knit 15 rows (the majority of that at the coffee shop yesterday with Circus and B.) I am determined, however, to get it done and to Hawaii for my sister-in-law for her birthday in February. Maybe if I have a time limit on it, I will finish it more quickly. I just want the darn things off the needles and out of my hair!

No comments: